Puppy Care FAQs:
- How do I take care of my first puppy?
- First and foremost, basic health – which includes freshwater, nutrition-rich food and sleep.
- Ensure your puppy stays in a safe environment.
- Psychological needs – which includes socializing with other dogs.
- How to keep a newborn puppy healthy?
- When should I start training a puppy?
- What are the first things to do after you adopt a puppy?
As a dog parent, you need to understand how to take care of your puppy. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
It is advisable to clean your puppy’s den or crate regularly. Getting your puppy vaccinated from time to time is also very important. Ensure you check for early signs of diseases in your pup. You can also treat your puppy with healthy snacks.
You can start with basic obedience training using commands like ‘sit’, ‘lie down and ‘stay’ when your puppy is around 7 weeks old. It is also advisable to name your puppy immediately when it is bought home as this will make it attentive whenever its name is called out from an early age, and subsequently, makes it easier for you to train. Lastly, you should not get impatient when it comes to training your puppy.
It is advisable to set a routine for your puppy when it is brought home. Here is what you can do:
1. Get your puppy familiarized with the designated potty area. Whenever your puppy goes there to pee or poop, praise it.
2. Settle your puppy in its crate or den. Keep all its toys and supplies there. Let your puppy get familiarized with its place. If it starts chewing the bedroll or pees on it, remove it permanently.
3. Observe what your puppy does when it goes inside its crate or den. You may also play with your puppy while it is getting acclimatized with its den.